Shreveport Green Mission
Shreveport Green is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting a healthy, sustainable, and economically vital community through public outreach, community enhancement, and a specific respect for the natural and built environment.
Education: This is the key to encouraging positive behaviors toward community improvement.
Individual Responsibility: Improving communities, their environment, and quality of life all begins with personal responsibility -- individuals becoming more engaged as citizens and stewards of the environment.
Public-Private Partnerships: Broad-based community alliances are essential to achieve sustainable community improvement.
Volunteer Action: By engaging volunteers we extend the reach of our education and multiply the impact of our actions.
Shreveport Green changes behaviors and improves communities through a focus on these areas.
- Litter Prevention: Defining litter; identifying the causes; reducing it by organizing cleanups; and promoting the proper handling of discarded waste in our communities.
- Tree Planting and Outreach: Planting trees; educating about proper planting techniques including right place, right species, and right time; and benefits of trees.
- Beautification and Community Greening: Improving the visual aspects of our communities through programs that beautifully and naturally clean our environment including community gardens, restoring vacant lots, highway and waterway beautification and restoration, native and wildflower plantings, and graffiti prevention and abatement.
- Waste Reduction: Reducing the impact of solid waste in our community through integrated programs including responsible consumerism, source reduction and reuse, recycling and education about landfills, proper household hazardous waste disposal, composting and waste-to-energy.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Encouraging healthy living through the cultivation of community gardens, proper food choices and preparation, and improving access to healthy foods.