Household Hazardous Waste
Leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients are considered to be "household hazardous waste" or "HHW." Products, such as paints, cleaners, oils, batteries, and pesticides that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special care when you dispose of them.
Improper disposal of household hazardous wastes can include pouring them down the drain, on the ground, into storm drains, or in some cases, putting them out with the trash. The dangers of such disposal methods might not be immediately obvious, but improper disposal of these wastes can pollute the environment and pose a threat to human health. Motor oil can be recycled at various "oil change" facilities around the community and at the HHW collections eight times a year. At these collections, all citizens of Shreveport and Bossier City and Caddo and Bossier Parishes can properly dispose of hazardous materials.
HOW DO I DISPOSE OF MY HHW?
Shreveport Green facilitates 8 collections a year for the public, where members of the communities in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Caddo and Bossier Parishes can bring their household hazardous materials to be properly disposed of. Reservations are required and can be made by completing the reservation form on this page or by calling our office at 219-1888, ext. 16. This event has been so successful in the last few years that Shreveport Green has switched to facilitating a collection on a more frequent basis. This project is supported by the City of Shreveport, Republic Services, Bossier City, Caddo Parish, and Bossier Parish.
WHY DO I NEED A RESERVATION?
A reservation is required to facilitate an orderly and safe event. With reservations, there is generally no waiting for the citizen and less stress on the volunteers!!! A reminder email will be sent the week before the collection to all reservations if an email address is supplied.
WHERE DO I BRING MY HAZARDOUS MATERIALS?
Location and directions will be confirmed when reservations are made.
- November 5 2022
Reservations are required to drop off materials.
- NO HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE SHOULD BE DROPPED OFF AT SHREVEPORT GREEN OFFICE
- Appointments will be taken up to two days before the collection date
By appointment only. Call 318-219-1888 ext 12 or (318) 219-1888 ext. 14.
See below for typically accepted materials:
- Used oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, oil filters, brake fluid and similar automotive products
- Latex and oil-based paints and stains, paint thinner, and paint solvents. Containers of dried paint can be safely discarded in regular garbage.
- Flammable hydrocarbon products like gasoline and solvents
- Cleaning products including acids, bases, bleach, and furniture polish
- Mercury batteries, switches and thermometers and non-metallic mercury
- Household batteries- alkaline and NiCad
- Intact heating/cooling thermostats
- Automobile/Marine batteries
- Fluorescent and CFB lamps
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides
- Ammunition, explosives, flares, or fireworks
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED:
- Materials in leaking or improper containers
- Household fire alarms and smoke detectors
- Gas Cylinders
- Household fire extinguishers
- Radioactive materials